A new US Administration and a new Congress creates a new opportunity to move the ball forward in the federal arena. The key to this is making sure that they know we're here, and that we need and deserve their attention.
This site has managed to garner over 300 members in a short time, and we are some of the strongest allies of the trans community. If we all channel our efforts, we can accomplish amazing things. The beginning of a new Administration and a new Congress is a time when our efforts can be especially effective. I would like to put together a steering committee to use this site and its networking capabilities to lobby Members of Congress around the country on trans workplace issues. If this effort is successful in creating some coordination, we can move on to some of the other issues key to challenging oppression, like educating employers and the public, state and local legislation, and increasing transgender job opportunities. We can also work on global issues.
I have some ideas, and I'm sure you do too. If you're interested in taking action on this, please reply to this post.
Here are some of my ideas. They need some tweaking, for sure. What are your ideas?
1) open a YouTube channel to lobby specific Members of Congress in key states and districts from their own constituents, using short (1 min or less) videos
2) standard email and letter writing campaign to accompany the effort
3) getting employers to publicly support a trans-inclusive ENDA
4) email and letter-writing campaign to the EEOC, which is called upon to give its opinion on new legislation
5) coordinating with non-profits that support a trans-inclusive ENDA
If you're interested in taking action on this, please reply to this post and we'll stir things up a bit.